Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Final Blog Post

When I started this semester, I found myself most excited for this Anthropology class. I didn’t like the blogs or the quizzes or all of the reading that was thrown at us in the first few days. I felt overwhelmed. But Professor Gaunt’s animism and enthusiasm made me feel excited none the less. I hated the Kottak book. It was almost always a dry read that I could not focus on. I did poorly on all the quizzes because of how hard it was for me to read that book. I did enjoy the second book. The enthnographies that we read this semester helped me to understand concepts better than the Kottak chapters. Blogging was definitely a chore for me this semester. I don’t like to use the internet so much for homework. It’s easy for me to get distracted or forget. I had to make an immense effort to get the comments and blogs done on time. I also didn’t like that other people had access to my thoughts. I would’ve preferred handing in my reactions on a typed sheet of paper. I liked the ideas and most of the videos that were on the Anthropology 1001 blog. I believe those also helped solidify concepts.

Initially, I did not know what anthropology was and I dismissed it (especially when I was choosing an LC freshman semester). But I took it as a requirement and I learned a lot from it. I don’t know if I’ve become more tolerant but I do try to not compare things cross-culturally. I just try to take everything at face value and stay open-minded. My excitement did dwindle throughout the semester. We were too pressed for time and far too many things were being taught to us. A lot of the ideas that I had to share were ignored and I often noticed students with their hands up who were never called on. I hope that next semester, others students will be able to participate actively in class as we were promised in the beginning of the semester. But there was good feedback when I needed it. I feel that my final project, the mini-ethnography, will be much better because I received the direction that I truly needed.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Ashley. And I apologize if you felt you weren't called on. Not everyone can be called on and we didn't get as much interaction as I promised. But, we defied the odds of only the four same students speaking that has been statistically proven. I don't think you'll find one person in our class who has not spoken or contributed in class. Remember perspective looks like reality but it's only part of a much bigger picture.
    Loved your blog this semester AND so it was worth your effort in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. The agreements we had was that if you had a concern about something to be in communication within 72 hours. Might ask why you never did that. I honored every request that was brought to me in that vein. Might have gotten what you desired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPS Where is your mixed blood essay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mixed blood essay is posted on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ** Also, I didn't want to seem difficult so I just did the blog. I knew I could've spoken to you.

    ReplyDelete